Thursday, March 17, 2011

The drawing a day challenge

Since the first of March, I have been doing a drawing a day with only missing one. This is a challenge suggested by Parapluie. When she mentioned it, I was attracted to her idea because I had found how much I like plein air painting where I paint what I see while I am there. It really gave me a feeling different than I get from painting from sketches back at home. Emotionally more of that was what I felt I needed. Maybe drawing could do it.

At this point, I am about half way through the challenge and the results have been mostly mediocre to be honest. I used to be good at drawing. Where did that go? When I went to the beach, I did sketch quite a bit but nothing at all exceptional.


Still I was doing it and nobody said the sketch a day had to be wonderful. I thought maybe my problem is materials; with a coupon worth 50% off, I bought a few drawing pencils, some charcoal and drawing pens to see if that would do any better. Not sure it did.


Thursday in riding along to get a load of hay, I was reminded I had forgotten my sketch pad and pens. Great. My one chance to get out in the main valley where the clouds are more formed, the hills show up, and I forget my pad. I do have an explanation as I was working on writing a story with characters more on my mind than lines; but I was disappointed.

Even more so when I saw where we were going and so many interesting opportunities for mid-valley clouds, for vistas. One thing I have learned in doing this is we don't get the great cloud formations out in the hills. It's like they form here or are broken up here but when I get to the main valley, that's when I see them, these great cumulus columns, the strata, all the shapes that work together to create a feeling of energy.

While the boss was off getting the hay, talking to the owner, I quit bemoaning my stupidity and realized I had what I needed-- pens in the glove compartment that I liked better than mine at home and a napkin from a Subway. Voila.

Actually I liked the little sketches better than any I have done this month (which given the quality of the rest, isn't saying a lot. Still, I taped them to my sketchbook page for the 17th. Nobody said the sketches had to be done on sketching paper...

1 comment:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

You have the beginnings of value differences in these. They don't have to look like anything to others as long as you are seeing many differences from light to dark in the landscape. The contrast in values gives the impression of luminous light not so much the hue changes in color.